Erin French's Summer Berries with Ginger-Cream Shortcakes
For The Shortcakes
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and lemon zest. Add the butter and pulse until the butter is incorporated and the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Transfer to a large bowl. Using a wooden spoon, mix in the candied ginger, vanilla, and ¾ cup of the heavy cream until just barely combined.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and form it into a log about 10 inches long and 2 inches wide. Using a knife, slice the dough into 8 circles and put them on the lined baking sheet. Brush the shortcakes with the remaining ¼ cup cream and sprinkle with the raw sugar.
- Bake until the shortcakes are light golden, 15 to 18 minutes. Allow them to cool on the baking sheet, then halve them horizontally as though opening a biscuit and divide the bottoms among 8 plates.
- While the shortcakes bake, make the filling.
- Using a whisk, hand mixer, or stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the cream until soft peaks form. Add the vanilla and confectioners’ sugar and mix until just combined.
- Spoon a heaping dollop of whipped cream over the bottom half of each scone. Top with a mixture of the berries and another dollop of cream. Top with the other half of the shortcakes, then sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar, garnish with mint sprigs, if desired, and serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!