Cornmeal Biscuit Pot Pie
Cat Morrow owns an operates Legacy Acres Family Farmstead - a historical 1800's farm outside Bangor, ME. She is passionate about unprocessed food, local ingredients and holistic wellness. "I am committed to creating lasting foundations within our communities here in Maine, through slow food education. With information, and access to local wholesome ingredients, we can reconnect with one another, with local, real ingredients and the farmers that grow them.- It's not too late to find our roots, and dig in." - Cat Morrow
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 cups vegetables: diced carrots, peas, corn, pepper
- 3 cups W.A. Bean's Smoked Chicken, pulled into bites
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- To prepare gravy, melt butter in a 10″ skillet over medium-low heat, and stir in the flour. Cook a moment or two before adding about half your liquid. Stir to combine.
- Add remaining milk or broth. Cook until the sauce is thick and bubbling. You may need a little more liquid, but keep in mind your vegetables will add moisture.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper, and mix in the chicken or turkey meat.
- To make biscuits, add flour, cornmeal sea salt and baking powder to a bowl. Stir to combine. Add heavy cream and stir until a stiff but scoopable dough is formed.
- To assemble, transfer the chicken, vegetables, and sauce into a 2-quart baking dish. Using a cookie scoop or spoons, dollop out portions and drop the biscuits on top of the filling. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the biscuits are golden brown and the pie filling is bubbling, 30 to 45 minutes. Rest 10-15 minutes before serving.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!