Mushroom Wheatberry Soup
adapted from More Than Gourmet
- 1/2 cup Maine Grains Wheatberries
- 4 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 lb Parsnips finely chopped
- 1/2 lb Carrots finely chopped
- 1 large Onion finely chopped
- 1 larger clove of garlic minced
- 8 ounces White Button Mushrooms wiped, trimmed and sliced
- 4 ounces Forest Blend Mushrooms finely chopped
- 1.5 ounces Demi-Glace dissolved in 3 cups hot water
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Cook berries in 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Drain wheat berries and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy pan over medium heat. Add the parsnips, carrots, and onions, cover and cook until they are tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, cook for 1 minute, then stir in the fresh mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms begin to release their juices
- Add the diluted Demi-Glace and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the wheat berries and bring the soup to a simmer. Stir in the milk, more water (if needed), and the lemon juice. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!